Br J Neurosurg, Oct 2016

The dura causes spinal cord compression after spinal cord injury.

Saadoun S, Werndle MC, Lopez de Heredia L, Papadopoulos MC

MR scans from 65 patients with traumatic spinal cord injury were analysed; on admission 95% had evidence of cord compression - in 26% due to the dura, and in the remaining 74% due to extradural factors. Compression due to dural factors resolved with a half-life of 5.5 days. These findings suggest that bony decompression alone may not relieve spinal cord compression in the quarter of patients in whom dural factors are significant.

Read the full text